Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Lessons from a Clean Locker Room

Once upon a time, I was sitting in a computer lab…A long seen friend of mine was there on the phone, and I was sitting next to him. Everything he said sounded like white noise except for these words… "Stop living off of my success." Then like a vortex to my mind’s eye I found myself analyzing this statement, I then came to realize that we all in many ways live off the success of others.



In 2009 I was signed to a 3 year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. (You need to know that when you sign an NFL contract whether it be for 1 year or 10 years, with the exception of your signing bonus, there is no future employment or amount of money that will be guaranteed to you by that organization.) So Just because I signed didn’t mean I was going to make the team.






On top of that stressor was the constant competition for transportation. You’d think we’d have personal limos, just add that along with all of the other myths about NFL players. Instead there were two shuttles that were transporting us. One was known as the "early bus" and the other was the "later bus." It was Ideal to be on the early bus. However, that meant that waking up early and waiting on the curb in order to get a spot.



One morning I was pretty much at my breaking point. My body was beat, my conscience was stressed (from constant competition…), I was missing my family and my spirits were down. I literally felt like quitting.


I was at rock bottom, but that’s when it all hit me. I was looking at the ground by my locker (my locker had wheels, which meant it could be rolled away at any given time). What I was seeing wasn’t matching how I was feeling: I felt like the world was crumbling, but the floor was perfectly clean for a locker room, It looked like it had been shampooed it was so clean. I then glance up at my locker and noticed how neatly everything was placed and organized, and that’s when my attitude changed. It was the work of the Janitor who made me realize how fortunate I was to be working in a facility where my workout clothes were treated like gold and the Locker Room was cleaner than my bedroom ever was while growing up.


I then also realized how lucky I was to have a teammate like Santiago; Santiago being the Janitor for the Eagles. Often times in the workplace, people become so consumed with either their problems or their success that it leads to a cancerous case of egotism. Every office has their door mat, and every office has their egotistical co-worker or boss. It is essential to find that balance of appreciation for everyone’s position in the workplace, to eliminate any energy leakage aka drama in a company. It is important to know where you stand, especially if it’s on the success of others.

For Example: You may be the best break dancing B-boy on the block, but your back spin wouldn't amount to what it is, if it weren't for the sweat shop employee that produced that flattened cardboard box you're spinning on, or the windbreaker your wearing. Ya feel me?


To Be Continued …..


3 comments:

  1. gotta appreciate the folks that keep it clean so you can do your thang with no distractions... I always say HI to our school janitors but I want to throw in a thank you here & there...I think that'd be nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely motivating man! I guess sometimes, in life, we're the "NFL player fighting for spot on the team" and sometimes we're the "janitor cleaning up the locker room" Which one am I? The janitor DEFINITELY the janitor! This post is awesome though - keep em coming!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Bird Gadget